re: TR Fuel Starvation or Too Lean?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, january@chemeketa.edu
Subject: re: TR Fuel Starvation or Too Lean?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 01:52:19 EDT
January,

tough short description of your TR4A probs
i assume you are running car stock
few guesses:
coil going out in a few days..
sticking carb float valves
sticking air valve/needle
crud in fuel line

Carl '63 TR4

From: January Williams <january@chemeketa.edu>
Subject: fuel starvation or too lean?

We've put a couple thousand miles on our as yet unnamed TR4A, going great in
general. Past couple of nights after a mile or so, it acts like it is
running out of fuel, no power, not responsive to throttle, slows to crawl,
then after a minute or two, comes back and runs fine. Pulling out choke knob
had no noticeable affect, although in cool weather, needs choke to start.
Daytime, ran 100 miles yesterday in very warm weather, ran fine.
Details, cool at night (50s F) but lights on, also hilly roads around home.
Also I've noticed that even though the temp is up to normal (just left of
center) after a couple of miles, it really takes about 10 or 12 minutes to
really run smooth, as if the whole motor has to heat up.
Is it possible to have intermittent problem with fuel pump, or is this a
prelude to failure? Or could it be spark? (I've got some platinum plugs on
order)
january
66 TR4A CTC74217A