Re: TR3 Seat Reupholstery Question

To: "Augustine, Richard S. (LNG-SHEP)" <Richard.Augustine@LexisNexis.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Seat Reupholstery Question
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:35:51 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Richard,

I had my dad re-do my seats back in "91. He replaced the plywood strip with
plywood! He used steam (lots) to form the plywood and 3/16" inch (I believe)
exterior grade plywood. The strip was then riveted to the seat frame using brass
rivets. He then used staples applied with a staple gun powered by compressed air
to attach the vinyl. He very rarely used tacks, just for tight spots where he
could not fit the gun. He ran an upholstery business for many years before
retirement and was glad to do the job.

He also made enhancements to the fabric attachment by using nylon twine to add
strength and maintain uniformity in the fit.

They came out great and still look brand new today over 10 years later. Every
time someone comments on the seats, I proudly say those were hand made by my
dad!

My advice to you is to locate a upholstery shop where the owner is older and may
understand how to form wood etc. You may try it yourself if you have the time.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V