Re: Brake fluid DOT4 or 5 ?

To: " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid DOT4 or 5 ?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 00 08:11:38 -0700

>About seven or eight years ago, in my ignorance, I replaced the brake fluid
>in my TR6 with silicon. In my ignorance, all I did was pump the silicon
>through untill I saw no more of the old fluid. I didn't do a flush with
>alcohol, or anything else, and I didn't replace any of the rubber. To
>date, I
>have had NO problems with the brakes in my car. The brakes work as well as
>before, and I have no leaks.

Who knows why your held?  Evidently is does just often enough to cause
contraversy.

In my case I just replaced everything  including the steel lines with new
parts except the rear wheel cylinders which had about 5,000 miles on them
from new.

I filled the system with DOT5 fluid and both rear cylinders were leaking
within a week.  Once I replaced the rubber everything was OK.

I happened to be chatting with a tech writer/technician type afew months
later & he mentioned that he had been part of an insurance company study
on brake fluids to see if silicone hydraulic fluid would work on cars.  I
pumped him for as much info as I could get.

Best of luck

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.