MIG welder

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MIG welder
From: "Picard, Pierre" <Pierre@incognito.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:56:29 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello listers,

Now that the frame and suspension on my 74 TR6 are pretty well done, the fun
part begins. I can't move my tub and body parts to my friend's shop anymore
for welding.

What make and model for a MIG welder is recommended? I'm aiming for one that
can weld at least a 3/16 or 1/4". Probably 220/230V. Is that overkill for
auto body work?

I've found that Hobart (175) and Miller (172) have nice models. Lincoln's
website wasn't as detailed. What features would be helpful? I noticed that
the Millers' have a 4 position wire speed control (at least according to the
pictures). I was told that variable wire speed is important when welding
thin material.

Out of curiosity, what gauge are the body panels on a TR6?

I'm planning on dipping the whole tub after welding a bit of a sub-frame to
it. Any tips there?

This weekend, I'm installing the anti-squeal shims and new pads on the
running 6. I'll update the list on the development Monday.

Thank you in advance one and all.

Pierre Picard
74 TR6 - being reborn
74 TR6 - rusty but fast