Re: Brake fluid DOT4 or 5 ?

To: "Pat" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>, "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake fluid DOT4 or 5 ?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:24:22 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Pat,

Correct. DOT 5 will not damage paint the way DOT 4 will.  M/C and S/C
rebuild kits contain new rubber o-rings/gaskets that should be replaced, but
it may not be mandatory to do so.

The important thing is to completely flush the old DOT 4 out of the system
with denatured alcohol, and dry out the lines with compressed air before
refilling with DOT 5.  I changed my seals because they were neglected and
needed it anyway.  The rebuild kits are cheap, so it's probably not a bad
idea to tackle the whole thing and take care of it all at once.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
The Vintage Spitfire Forum -- moderated and friendly
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/spitforum.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!