RE: Brake fluid DOT4 or 5 ?

To: "'TRlist'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake fluid DOT4 or 5 ?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:38:54 -0700

On Friday, August 18, 2000 4:55 PM, Pat [SMTP:pleask@mailhost.wlc.com] wrote:

> Am I correct in that DOT5 does not peel off the paint ?

Yes.  It also does not attract water, and deteriorate the way DOT 3/4 does.

> They also said that to convert to DOT5 they had to use all new "Rubber".
> What does this mean, all new rebuild kits that have rubber ?

Yes, it means to replace the rubber seals in the master and slave cylinders, as
part of thoroughly cleaning the system to remove all traces of the old DOT-3/4.
 Sort of "Since you have to take it apart anyway, might as well use new parts
when you reassemble".

My experience has been that it is not essential to completely disassemble and
clean the system, but it's probably better if you do.  When I switched my
motorhome to DOT-5, I only cleaned one front caliper, didn't replace any rubber
at all, and it has worked fine for many years now.

Randall