RE: Four wheel disc brakes?

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Four wheel disc brakes?
From: iron_horse819@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:33:48 -0700 (PDT)
--- Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Many folks have done it . . . but the question is when this "additional
> stopping power" is going to come in handy.

I was thinking about the rush hour traffic I go thru daily ... lots of stopping
from highway speeds multiple times over a short distance

> Since a huge proportion of the braking is done by the front wheels (front
> engined car + weight transfer under braking), the first objective is to keep
> the rear brakes from locking up under heavy braking. If you can lock up the
> rear drum brakes now, then the last thing you need is more efficient disk
> brakes in the rear.
>
> One of the main advantages of disk brakes is that they cool better and
> resist fade under repeated applications. For normal highway driving, or even
> autocrossing, additional brake cooling may not be of particular help. For an
> all-out road racer, on the other hand, disks on all four wheels may be a
> considerable advantage. Jaguar disks on the front and the TR disks moved to
> the rear is one possibility.

Thanks for the input, of course I wouldn't want the rear brakes locking up - I
was looking for a balanced upgrade for the braking system.  Your suggestion for
Jag front and moving the TR to the rear sounds fine, but I was hoping to have
the hand brake operational as well, lots of hills around here! (grin)

Raymond