RE: Unleaded heads and valve guides

To: "'jonmac'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Unleaded heads and valve guides
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:31:52 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jon :

I'll agree, but add that many people seem to forget that these cars were
_affordable_ sports cars, not "cost is no object" cars.  The original
guides and seats worked just fine with the gasoline of the day, there was
no good reason to use the more expensive metals.

As far as "sacriledge" goes,  it should be equally sacriledge (sp ?) to run
an original engine on gasoline it was not designed for !  If you are purist
enough to care that internal engine parts are the same as original, then
shouldn't your gasoline _smell_ the same as original !
(BTW, unleaded gas, at least what's sold in the US, smells considerably
different due to the different octane improvers.  MTBE also has a strange
smell.)

Randall