Dolomite Sprint cuts-out

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dolomite Sprint cuts-out
From: Stuart McLelland <S.J.McLelland@exeter.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:35:33 +0100
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone may be able to help with an intermittant
fault with my Dolomite Sprint that's starting to get a bit annoying.

Periodically, the engine will cut-out. When it happens the revs will
suddenly drop 0 and then increase before dropping to zero again -
this will continue until the engine stalls but it's normally quicker
to switch the engine off. Usually it will restart and behave normally
if it's left to rest for 30 secs.

The car has had electronic ignition fitted (by the previous owner).
I've recently changed the coil and the battery is also new. The
starter motor sticks sometimes, but I assume that is not related.

Other than that I don't really know where to start. If it's the
electronic ignition can this be repaired or would I need to buy a
complete new unit? The only other part of the ignition system I think
might be at fault is the plug leads - but the replacement is costly
so I don't want to go ahead unless it's likely to be the casue of the
problem.

Thanks for any help

Stuart

Stuart McLelland           email: sjm68@cam.ac.uk