Re: Smoky TR6

To: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Subject: Re: Smoky TR6
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Cameron Greig wrote:

> My 71 TR6 engine appears to be in good shape,excellent compressions,uses
> very little or no oil.However every time I start the car either cold or
> hot it produces a significant cloud of grey smoke.Once the car is running
> no more smoke.The car is fitted with a large bore straight through
> exhaust system and I am wondering is the exhaust gases left in the system
> when the engine is switched off are collecting  and are then being blown
> out on when the engine is restarted.

Is it dark grey smoke?  Over-rich carb mix will cause this (almost black)

You'll notice that the kid in the "hot-rod" Honda Civic blows a lot of it
when he peels away from the stop lights.

Also, your dashpots *may* be leaking a little oil into the engine, but I
don't think so.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm