Re: Smoky TR6

To: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Subject: Re: Smoky TR6
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 22:32:56 -0600
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greig

I pulled this from some website awhile back.  It was some good tech
info. from one of the parts suppliers but I don't have a reference so
I'm not sure who to credit.

Anyhow it said:

Worn Valve Guides and Valve Stems

"...even moderate wear in the valve guides is sure to result in lots of
oil burning. The problem is most pronounced at start-up and during
deceleration."

So if you're getting the blue/grey cloud during startup I'd have some
one follow you in your car to see if it's also putting out a puff of
smoke during gearshifts (when there's deceleration).  If there is smoke
in both cases then you probably need new valves and valve guides (might
as well do both when you do it).  I saw the same symptoms when following
one of the members of our club on a recent outing and I pretty sure she
needs new valve guides too.

I had one of the first Honda CVCC engines in a 75 Civic that had the
same symptoms and they were notorious for having valve guides wear out
quickly.  Lots on nice blue smoke to warm you up on cold mornings.

Replacing them is a function of how much embarrassment you can take,
since in most cases it doesn't case a noticeable loss of power although
it's more than likely going to be a detriment to the engine in the long
run if you don't have it fixed.

Bud
71TR6 CC57365
71TR6 CC65446