Re: Unleaded Head Update

To: Gerhard Wiederholl <Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unleaded Head Update
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:02:53 -0600

Gerhard Wiederholl wrote:

> I cant find any valve stem seals in my  parts catalogues.I had the same
>problem
> with my TRIUMPH motorcycle and found out that Audi 100 valve stem seals fit
> well. Has anyone an idea if parts of an other car can be used on a TR 6 motor
> head ???

You probably won't find them in any catalog for Triumph cars, since they
were neither OEM, nor probably recommended with cast-iron guides
(although simple seals have been used on cast-iron guides on other
makes, notably big Fords). I've found that most American machine shops
have an assortment of suitable valve stem seals which will fit the
aftermarket bronze guide, since it is 0.501" outside diameter. I believe
American-made Ford smaller engines have a snap-in-place stem seal which
fits quite well. If that style stem seal is used, a small groove must be
cut in the outside diameter of the guide to accommodate the annular
depression in the stem seal cap.

Not sure where you'd find such an item in Deutschland, but you might
check with local parts suppliers for British and American cars. If I can
come up with a part number for a suitable stem seal, I'll post it.

Cheers.