Re: Unleaded Head Update

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Subject: Re: Unleaded Head Update
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:48:54 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Michael D. Porter wrote:

> "Robert M. Lang" wrote:
> >

> > Note: my machinist said, and I quote: "Those heads are pretty hard, you
> > don't need any inserts Mr. Lang". I like this guy! Of course, I've already
> > given him $1200 this year and more to come! But what the hey!
>
> A second opinion--my machinist, on the other hand, said, yes to hardened
> exhaust seats, and no to hardened intake seats, which made sense to me,
> as the exhausts run so much hotter.

And my machinist has suggested this to me on other heads that I've had
done. And I was in 100% agreement with him.

I guess what some of the feedback that I've got indicates that I should
say the following:

Going to hardened seats is not necessarily required in all cases. This is
what the people who sell the parts and the services to install hardened
seats do not want you to hear. However, in some cases hardened seats may
be required. These cases would include heads that have signs of valve
recession. And the exhaust valve seats are where you should look first.

But "converting" to what the pudits call unleaded heads is not a given.
In any case.

> Cheers, Bob.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |