Fwd: Re: Marginal brakes - help please

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Marginal brakes - help please
From: John Dowson <jdo@star.le.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:42:58 +0100

As a '71 GT6 braking system is not to different from my '72 Spit system
the following may be of help.

5 years ago when I refurbished the car I did the following to the braking
system

Replaced all rubber seals.

Replaced all metal brake pipes with Cunifer (hard copper alloy) ones.

Flexible pipes were replaced by Goodrich steel braid PTFE ones, easily
availiable and street legal in the UK.

Added a new Automotive Products (AP) vacuum servo which operates on all
wheels as the system is single circuit. This was obtained from my local motor
factors for about 150 UK pounds and is a current production unit.

System filled with DOT4 fluid which is flushed and changed every 12 months.

Linings and pads are standard and in fact are asbestos based old stock rather
than modern glass loaded types.

I am not to convinced about the use of semi metallic pads in an unservo
assisted system.

Performance is excellent and well up to a modern disc/drum system but not as
good as a disc/disc system. I have used it in mild competition and on track
days
have been able to give some more powerful cars a suprise by outbraking them
into corners.

Best Regrds

John Dowson