Re: Marginal brakes - help please

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Marginal brakes - help please
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:36:18 -0100
At 08:26 22-04-1999 -0400, Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca wrote:

>I would like to noticeably improve the brake performance on my  '71 GT-6
>(non boosted).  I am already using semi-metallic pads and the rear shoes
>are properly adjusted.  Other suggestions/comments please.

Most drastic way I know: take the system apart, flush thoroughly, clean
everything and use all new seals everywhere. Refill with DOT 4 or synthetic
DOT 5 and try bleeding it properly. Take plenty of valium.

>Some of the
>things I am considering include:  braided SS brake hose for a firmer petal,

If you can find them (hard to get and even supposed to be illegal in my
country), use them!

If you can find a booster: fit it! Probaly only works on the front brakes,
but it's supposed to be worth it.

I think you should also consider that the design of the car is more than
thirty years old. There were different standards for brake performance back
then.

Good luck!

Eric
The Netherlands