Re: Seam Sealer?

To: Tim Hickey <tjhickey@gatecity.com>
Subject: Re: Seam Sealer?
From: "Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:06:41 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
When I had my 73 TR6 repainted (after all new body panels), I did not put any
seam sealer into the 'crack' at the fenders, rear deck, and forward pieces
joints.  Instead, I primed and undercoated the flanges (where the panels bolt
together) of those pieces, bolted/screwed the pieces together, and had the body
shop paint the car.

I debated a long time as to whether or not to 'seal' these joints.

After a year and a half, I am satisified with this approach.   One problem with
sealing these joints is that the paint will dry on the sealant, which will then
crack , causing the paint to crack.  I saw this on almost every TR6 I looked at
before I painted mine.  The only TR6 that did not have cracking of the paint at
these joints was one that did not have the joints sealed.

My car has a nice clean look to the joints.  The paint was able to flow down
the seams giving a smooth appearance.  The underneath and flanges of the panel
are undercoated (kind of a tarry substance) so they will not rust, and this
undercoating prevents moisture from getting in.  I also regularly spray the
inner parts of the car with a creeping 'oil' substance to prevent rust from
starting.

The TR6 body flexes, and joint sealer will cause cracking after a while.

My two cents worth

Robert Carley
73 TR6