Re: Clutch disengagement problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch disengagement problem
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 18:12:34 -0700
Peter Firla wrote:
>I'm stumped again. I have a '74 TR-6. When first starting out, there is
>no problem shifting. After the engine/tranny are warm, shifting into
>first becomes hard, and into reverse is impossible because of clashing
>gears. Obviously the clutch is not completely disengaging when warmed
>up. I was due for a clutch when this started so I put in a new one
>recently but the problem remains. Does anyone know what the throw should
>be of the slave cylinder fork? What else could this heat related problem
>be? Thrust washer? Flywheel problem?

You should measure the rearward movement of the slave cylinder's pushrod to
determine if the hydraulics are providing all the travel you need.
Movement should be approximately 5/8 of an inch.

When you changed the clutch, Peter, did you also change the pilot bushing?
A bad pilot bushing "dragging" on the end of the input shaft can transmit
enough torque regardless of clutch engagement/disengagement to cause this
problem, and I would think this might be subject to operating temperature,
too.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6