Re: TR4A Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Questions
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:49:48 -0700
Bob...The stainless steel trim on the doors and the wings on the TR4A
are "snapped" on. If all your snaps are in good (round) shape and clean
of paint and rust, not loose at the rivet head, you can re-use them. If
you need to replace some, they use a  small pop rivet (1/8 diameter X
1/8 grip). Both the snap and the rivet is available from the Big 3
(Moss, Victoria, TRF). Rivets alone, and the pop rivet gun you can get
at a hardware store. Place the strip on all the snaps on one edge. I now
snap from top to bottom, but you can also snap up, bottom to top, if you
want to see what's going on. I use the heel of my hand and sharply hit
the strip at the snap. Used snaps may even go on with pressure from you
two thumbs. Start at the largest end, that is, on the wings from rear to
front (leave a little space for the door to clear the wing), and on the
door from front to rear (again, a small space.) Stubborn snaps may need
some persuasion with a non-mar rubber mattet. But be gentle, stainless
dents easily.  I have some original used ones, if you muck one up. Jerry
Oliver.