Re: No 3rd / 4th gear!

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: No 3rd / 4th gear!
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 06:06:22 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< There are some little metal balls in the shift rails that are supposed to
 prevent the selsction of more than one gear at a time.  They reside in the
 aluminum casting between the rails and the rails have little recesses
 into which the balls can move when the rail is in the neutral position.
 When you move the gear selector into the reverse position the rail will
 push the ball into the casting which pushes another ball into the
 recess in the 3rd/4th selector rail locking it into its neutral position.

 If I were to guess I would say that the previous time you used reverse
 the reverse selector rail didn't return completely to its neutral position
 and locked out 3rd and 4th.  Re-engaging reverse put it back into the
 proper position again.

Dave

My thoughts exactly. I believe the manual calls this stuff an "interlock". Am
not gonna worry about it for now, I drove the car to the local club picnic on
Sunday.
If I ever have to open the box I'll take a look at it then.
Thanks

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B