Re: should I? 87 mm?

To: <CarlSereda@aol.com>, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: should I? 87 mm?
From: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 99 10:24:02 +0100

Carl wrote

>Anyone have compelling reasons not to upgrade to 87mm piston/liner set. I've
>got my engine broken down and was planning to bore all my liners and install
>.020 oversize pistons as the cheapest way to fix the ruined pistons (from
>seeping head gasket). But wonder if it's smarter to get the whole setup new
>and get the 10 extra horsepower - and do I have to install richer Stromberg
>needles?
>Carl
>'64 TR4 since '74 (25 years since my first total overhaul)

I had 87mm pistons in my 54 TR2,didn't realise I had until I went to
rebuild the engine years latter.It did explain why my car was always a
little faster than the others when we travelled in convoy. I found no
down side,just a noticable power increase,I was using SUs so can't
comment on the stromberg needles.

Cameron