should I? 87 mm?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: should I? 87 mm?
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:03:04 -0500
Cc: CarlSereda@aol.com
>Anyone have compelling reasons not to upgrade to 87mm piston/liner set. I've
>got my engine broken down and was planning to bore all my liners and install
>.020 oversize pistons as the cheapest way to fix the ruined pistons (from
>seeping head gasket). But wonder if it's smarter to get the whole setup new
>and get the 10 extra horsepower - and do I have to install richer Stromberg
>needles?
>Carl
>'64 TR4 since '74 (25 years since my first total overhaul)

Carl, I recently overhauled my "TR4 in a TR3" engine and went to the 87mm
pistons.  I noticed a big improvement in performance, due in no small part to
the increased displacement.  I was warned about boring sleeves due to concerns
that there may be rust pin-holes caused by cooling system, and that was
difficult to line bore them without making them slightly oval. I inspected the
sleeves and found no rust damage, and I had a really good machine shop so there
was no problem boring them.  I now have 170psi on all cylinders and very happy
with the performance.  Spent less than $1k for parts and machine work.
Regarding the Stromberg needles, I did not have to change mine, but if yours
have been in service for some time, they are probably worn and a little rich
anyway. Be sure also to check bearing and thrust washer tolerances and don't
forget to replace those cam bearings if you are plagued with low oil pressure.
Regards,
Richard