Re: Removing a Spitfire Driveshaft

To: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: Removing a Spitfire Driveshaft
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:05:47 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
ERic,
        There is a lip on the driveshaft flange which locates into a recess in
the diff/gearbox flange. I assume the driveshaft is a solid type, and
will not compress. You need to prise between the two flanges at the
differential end of the shaft with an old screwdriver or similar, to try
and tilt the flange away to one side so that the lip can disengage
itself (don't use any hammering action or you could amage the flange
faces). Once it's started to move, turning one of the rear wheels by
hand should allow the shaft to drop.
        Re-installing is much easier. Line up the flanges at the front, then
force the rear flanges together with the driveshaft flange tilted again.
Tap the flange square with a heavy hammer (but used gently). Job done,
refit the bolts.
        I've done this job many times, and ther is enough flex in the engine
and gearbox mounts to allow the movement you need.
        Good luck,
                Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup