Removing a Spitfire Driveshaft

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Removing a Spitfire Driveshaft
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:23:02 -0100

Fellow Triumphists,

After some time (ie. years) not being able to attend this list, I'm back.
Because I'm desperate. :-(

My trusty little Spit 1500 has developed bad vibes in its driveshaft (of
the frictionless pot joint type). This driveshaft, fitted by an experienced
mechanic when an overdrive was built in three years ago, was never perfect,
but the vibration recently worsened, so I thought it better to pull it and
have it balanced, before it shakes the diff bearings to pieces.

So I put the car on stands, removed the exhaust, marked the flanges, undid
the four bolts on the front flange, then the bolts at the rear and then...
nothing.

Even though there is no visible rust, the driveshaft seems to be firmly
stuck between the gearbox/OD and diff flanges. No amount of WD40 and
judicious tapping the flanges with a plastic hammer will shift it. I've
tried lowering the car on its wheels - no difference.

NOW what? Do I need to hit it hard? At the front? At the rear? Are there
ridges on either of the flanges that prevent it from just 'sliding' out? Is
there a trick to this? Do I remove engine first?

The thing I'm most worried about, with this driveshaft seemingly wedged in:
what if I do get it out - how the heck do I get it back in?

All creative thoughts gratefully accepted.

Eric Kieboom
The Netherlands
1976 Spitfire 1500 - Original Java Green.