Blasted TR6 - Alternator

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blasted TR6 - Alternator
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 22:10:04 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
My alternator died tonight, well maybe not died... but has failed to
generate enough current to keep my battery charged.  So I sat and waited,
for Rob's Towing, to come and get me from the middle of desolate parking
lot.

I knew the alt would go soon, it's been putting out 12.2v most of the
time... and will intermittently 'turn on' and put out 13.6v, then dropping
down to 12.2v after a while.

I saw on the VTR site some info about fitting a "Bosch alternator from a
1978-1980 Ford Fiesta was an almost direct replacement for a TR6
alternator."
< http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator/bosch-tr6.html >  Does anyone else
have any experience with this conversion?  Will any other modifications be
needed to fit this (besides adapting the wiring)?

The reason I'm not going to get a rebuilt Lucas unit to replace it, is that
the only auto store open tomorrow will be PepBoys, and that Bosch alternator
also puts out 55amps v. the Lucas' 28amps?

Thanks,

--
Kai Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR6

PS: always remember to tip your tow truck driver well...