Re: Transmission Serial Numbers?

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Serial Numbers?
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:25:23 -0400
Message text written by "Philip E. Barnes"
>"Gearbox serial numbers prior to 1972 were prefixed with the letters CD
for
>all models, and the numbering sequence continued the range of numbers that
>was started for the TR250 and TR5. This same same numbering system was
>continued for non-USA models right through the end, but beginning with the
>1972 model year, gearbox numbers for USA models were prefixed with the
>letters CC and the sequence began with the number CC75001."<

Ah, that is a good piece of info!

DO you have any idea of the transmission numbers at the beginning of
'68, '69, '70, '71, and even further?  I assume that the gearbox # roughly
approximates the comm# as starting from the TR5/250.  Therefore, I guess
that the
first TR6 had a gearbox  with CD8500 or so.  I guess that if you add the
8500 or so
to the TR6 commission # you will get around the right transmisson number.

Were there and gaps or jumps?

-Tony