Weird Distributor/Timing Question

To: tr7@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Weird Distributor/Timing Question
From: Brian Furgalus <triumph.tr7@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:56:40 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hello all.  I will be hooking up tho good old timing light to the new
TR7, and verify the timing.  It has a somewhat rough idle, and idles at
1000-1200 rpm, and refuses to go down.  We'd like to verify the timing
before we adjust idle speed.  Now for the weird stuff.  My car is a
1981, with the AC/Delco Combined Coil/Amplifier Assy.  Now I know that
this car should have an AC/Delco distributor to go with this unit, but
it doesn't!  It has a Lucas 47DM4 Distributor, hooked up to the Delco
amplifier/Coil!  The distributor looks brand-new.  What should the
timing settings be on this unit (static or otherwise)?  10BTDC?  I don't
need to get the car through emissions (exempt with collectors plates,
hopefully!) so can I advance it even more, to get better performance?
The distributor appears to be at it's maximum end of adjustment, so if
thetiming DOES need to be adjusted, what do I do?  I have no adjustment
left in the unit!

Thanks
Brian
--
|               Brian Furgalus                |