Electrical Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical Problems
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:50:48 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Fellow LisTRs --
Well, my recently purchased '74 TR6 is on the road with a temporary State of
Connecticut license plate. I have until 4/23 to get it inspected. While
doing the things necessary for it to pass inspection, I discovered a problem
with my lights. Here are the lights that DO NOT WORK:
Instrument lights
All 4 side lights
Back-up lights
Rear lights (stop lights work)
So, I open my Haynes book on the TR6 and look for the fuse that runs these
things, remove each fuse, visually check the fuse out, clean the terminals
(actually I just wiped them with a small piece of cloth), put each fuse back
in, and they still don't work. Okay, I'll replace some bulbs. No help. Oh,
oh, wiring problem, methinks. Then I went to my friendly Bentley shop
manual, still looking for ideas. It was then that I noticed that the Haynes
and Bentley do not quite agree on which fuse controls which lamp. Since I
don't have the manuals here at work, I can't be specific as to where they
disagree.
But, I thought that there might be two things out there in TR Land: an exact
idea of which fuse controls which lamp and also some ideas as to how to best
troubleshoot this problem. After all, April 23rd is fast approaching and I
still have some other things to chase down before I go before the ever
powerful Gods of the DMV.
Thanks in advance to all of you!
Red Hansen
'74 TR-6 (#CF13994)