Spare parts

To: John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@ns.sympatico.ca>, Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spare parts
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:57:02 -0700
My first TR 4A... though I fully restored it... was very unreliable.  My
second TR 4A driver, the one I currently drive, is incredibly reliable.
I'm not sure if the first one just had a jinx, or if it had something to
do with my teenage lead-foot and the racing motor and extremely glowing
hot headers...  : )

I have a big kit that I throw into my trunk when I take the TR on
trips.  Otherwise, I really don't carry much at all, besides a tool bag
with commonly used tools, electrical tape, fuses, length of electrical
wire,  etc.  It's about the size of a woman's purse (only lighter!)

The big kit, however...... well... you'll laugh... but...

Generator
Starter
Starter Solenoid
Regulator
Fuel Pump
Fan Belt
ALL fan belt mounting hardware/brackets
Radiator Hoses
Various lengths of fuel/water hose and appropriate clamps
Spare brake light bulbs
2 qts oil
1 bottle brake fluid
various gaskets

It all fits in a box about the size of two large shoe boxes.  It weighs
a ton.  And there might be a couple more things in there that don't come
to mind.   Basically... these were the things that failed (repeatedly)
on my first TR 4A...  so I figured if I took the whole gambit, I really
don't have to worry.  It's not a waste of money to own these things...
as, sooner or later... you will probably need them anyways... even if it
takes years...    It does cost, however,  in lost luggage space and
probably a little gas mileage...

I've put 15,000 miles on my driver TR 4A over the last few years since a
mechanical restoration... It's not my daily car... it just comes out
when the weather is right and for trips to northern california, etc...
but after the work-the-bugs-out-period in the first 2000 miles, the car
has been turn-key... and I've never needed the spares...  It may not
seem like a lot of mileage... but the fact that it can sit for weeks...
and be turned to the highway for a 1000 mile (round trip) drive... and
not complain... is a good thing.

My attitude about the big box is this... people can laugh, but there's a
good chance that box, one day, will save me a lot of grief.  In a modern
car... the odds are, you can't predict so easily what will most likely
fail... so when it goes... you will be stuck...  And when I drove my car
to Triumphfest last year... I figured... I was bringing the kit along
not just for me... but in case I should happen to find a Triumph
stranded motorist along the way.....     and I would be able to
help...   :: )

Other than that.. I have Auto Club with the "plus" service for towing up
to 100 miles and a cell phone!

--Justin