Re: TR6 Audio Speakers - in general

To: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Subject: Re: TR6 Audio Speakers - in general
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:23:40 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Radley, Jack wrote:

> I installed new speakers in my TR6.  I used the round 4" 2-way by Cerwin
> Vega and installed them in the kidney pads.  The speakers sounded very
> clear in the showroom, but now in the car they sound almost too clear
> with little or no bass.  Cranking the bass all the way up barely changes
> the sound and usually results in distortion.  The speakers I replaced
> performed similarly as I recall.  Is this typical of a 4" speaker in a
> TR6?  Do you need rear speakers to make the system sound right?

You might want to try cranking the treble down and the volume up to push a
little more power thru the speaker (instead of a little more bass - less
distortion that way)

I have a Panasonic super tuner (cassette) radio, an 80W amp (in trunk),
two 5-1/2" round Blaupunkt 2-way speakers in the rear pressboard cover,
tweeters in the door, and 4" woofers in the footwell.  The little woofers
are bandpassed (...they have a capacitor inline...) so that they don't
distort.  They were reclaimed out of a Memorex weatherproof speaker set -
the ones I replaced had rusted away!

Can't get loud enough to shake the earth, but it's plenty of noise for
top-down cruising.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm