Re: oil pump specs

Subject: Re: oil pump specs
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:22:43 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Carl :

My books seem somewhat contradictory on the point. The factory manual
doesn't even quote the clearance, but says "... no adjustments are
likely to be required until 200,000 miles ..." and goes on to recommend
only 'adjusting' the end float by lapping down the housing even then.

The Haynes manual has the .010" figure, and a diagram that clearly shows
it being measured with the gears in the housing.  It also says you
should probably replace the pump during any major overhaul.

For myself, I'd probably stick with the original pump, knowing that it's
not too hard to change on the car.  Check the outer rotor carefully for
cracks while putting some pressure on it with your fingers.  Lap the
body down to get the specified .0005" to .0025" end float.

OTOH, $40 is cheap insurance.  There have been some reports of problems
with the replacement gear sets, so check all clearances carefully.
Especially end float, as someone (even the factory) may have lapped the
body <g>

Don't overlook changing cam bearings.  They seem to be a common cause of
low oil pressure in rebuilt engines.

Randall