Re: oil pump specs

To: CarlSereda@aol.com
Subject: Re: oil pump specs
From: Dianne Fullam <dfullam@albany.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 17:10:08 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Carl,

My oil pump rotor shows about .010-.011" clearance. I put in a new rotor a few
years ago, but when a lifter failed, the fragments left it looking like a chunk
of stucco. That's when I found out that the new rotors are not hardened. The
original rotors are file-hard. I dug the old one out of the scrap box and put it
back in the engine. It's been running fine ever since. The car has 180,000 miles
and the original oil pump delivers 60 psi hot. I'd say if you have .007-.009"
clearance on an original rotor, leave it alone. TR4 oil pumps are fairly easy to
change with the engine in the car if you ever have to. I would dress the rotor
scuff marks off of the bottom cover plate. Where do you measure .020 with the
rotors removed?

If the bearings are showing copper, they're toast. Which may also mean that the
crank will need attention. BTDT :-/

Cheers

Pete Fullam
'63 TR4 since '63