Re: Diff. Leak Part 4

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Diff. Leak Part 4
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 23:57:59 -0600
Cc: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net

Barry Schwartz wrote:

> >I don't think things are all that bad.  Two teeth on the crown are chipped
> >(about 10% missing).
> **************************************
> It depends on where the chips are.  If they are anywhere near the contact
> area it is time for a new ring and pinion.  This is a very highly stressed
> assembly.  If they are away from these areas they may be dressed down
> slightly with a grinder or file.

I agree.

> If it were mine I would replace them
> anyway.  Plus I would have to wonder, what caused them to chip in the first
> place?.  I realize the expense, but better not to have to worry down the
> road -

While not exactly in the same league of equipment, some problems I have
recently heard of with Rockwell/Meritor 25,000 lb rear axles may be
instructive. A New Jersey Transit procurement officer told me, a few
weeks ago, of his difficulties in keeping axle carriers and ring and
pinion sets in stock. He believes that the difficulties arise from the
type of use. With a particular ratio and a particular transmission, hard
acceleration in low gear during a transition from wet to dry patches of
pavement causes a snatch, which overloads one tooth on the pinion, and
that tooth chips. Once that happens, the tooth is constantly overloaded
and fails, and the rest of the differential fails not long afterward.

It may be that the pinion and crown wheel set is overloaded due to the
acceleration imposed on the pinion during the events described above,
which occur during special circumstances under high torque. Knowing,
absolutely, what caused the chips described earlier is probably
impossible, but it might have occurred due to some similar circumstance.

Cheers.