Re: Hard starting; stumble on startup

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Hard starting; stumble on startup
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 14:33:45 -0700
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Malcom :

If you were able to pull a 1/2" spark at all, I'd say the coil is OK,
and the condensor is the most likely culprit.  Also check the points,
wiring, etc.

If you have an ohmmeter, you can check for 4-6 ohms between the low
tension terminals (for a stock coil with internal ballast), 10-20K ohms
between the center terminal and either other terminal, and an unreadably
high resistance between all terminals and ground (with the wires
disconnected).

If you don't have an ohmmeter, I'd strongly suggest buying a cheap
digital multimeter.  HF frequently has them on sale for $10 US.  I find
it makes a wonderful talisman to repel Lucas Prince of Darkness, or at
least lessen the severity of his attacks.  I keep one in the trunk at
all times <g>

My suggestion to save $$$ would be to go to the local junkyard
(preferably the "pull your own" type) and get the coil and ballast
resistor off a 60's or 70's Mopar  product. (GM or Ford coils will also
work, but they usually don't have the nice ceramic ballast resistor.)
Should be able to get both for under $10, I'd think.  The coil will fit
in your existing bracket (you may need some cardboard or duct tape to
fill the gap), and the ballast resistor needs to be connected in series
with the hot wire to the coil.

Randall