Hard starting; stumble on startup

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hard starting; stumble on startup
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
Well, the Lucas gremlins are preparing to rear their ugly head (must have
heard my pondering the switch to a Chevy HEI distributor)

My TR4 is hard to start when cold.  When hot, it (sometimes) has a bit of
a miss on start-up.  This just appeared 2nd drive ago (Sunday).

I'm suspecting the coil or condensor (oh no!  Not that thread!!!)  ...yes,
I know they're different.  I am going to replace the condensor first
because it's cheap.  I may bite the bullet and replace the coil too as the
one currently on the car is looking quite ancient (BTW, it's got a little
screw in the center terminal too- Maybe it holds the "lid" on?)

Replacement coil from parts house in town is $50 cdn (+tax...).  It is a
Blue Streak.

I can probably get an MSD or Crane hi-power coil from them, which will
probably set me back $80 or more.  :-(

Any ideas on how I test the coil?  I tried the 1/2" of airspace-crank
motor (no sparks), then 1/4" of airspace (no sparks) -- this while the car
wasn't starting.  I haven't tried it since it ran- had to yank the choke
and it came to life.  Hmm... <running outside>

OK, we do have sparks at cranking speed, with 1/2" of airspace... but it
is not fat, bright, or blue- thin, and yellow.

As I'm on a Starving Student's budget I don't really want to buy a coil
just to see what happens.  Is there any way to diagnose it at home?
Should I pull it out of the car, and take it to a shop?

thanks in advance,
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm