Re:TR6 Emissions Test

To: jaltman@altlaw.com, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:TR6 Emissions Test
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:55:03 -0400
Jim

Overall what it means is that your car is running pretty clean.  Maybe even too
clean and too lean at idle.  If those numbers are right you might want to make
your fuel mixture a tad richer because a too lean mixture can cause a burned
valve.  There should be a CO% number on  a plate on the left wheel arch.  It's
the one with the static timing, etc.  It should say something like 2% to 2 !/2%
CO at 950 RPM or some such info.

That means for optimum performance, economy, and emissions you want your exhaust
gas to test at 2-2 1/2 % carbon monoxide levels when the engine is idling at 95O
RPM.  From what I could tell from your numbers (they get out of alignment by the
time they've gone through Cyberspace and might even be messed up, so take all of
this with a grain of salt) your car is putting out 0.47% CO at 950 RPMs which is
low which means it's running lean, which you don't want.  The HC (hydrocarbon)
number for your car is 299 ppm (parts per million) which is low, but not too
low.  I have a 69 engine also and my last emsisions test showed it putting out
about 400 ppm of HC (and that was after I leaned it up for the test).  I run my
CO level at about 7.00 % CO in summer and 8-9 % CO in the winter but remember
I'm in Denver (5280 ft.and home of the World Champion Denver Broncos...sorry I
couldn't help it since Jim is both a Falcons and long suffering Vikings fan) and
the air is thinner so I generate more CO and HC than you do at sea level (Jim's
in Atlanta) because the combustion process is not as efficient as those of you
with that thick heavy air.

It seems strange looking at the numbers (and I'm wondering if they got turned
around) that at a higher RPM (2500) the HC went down and the CO went up....they
usually track together....both pollutants higher at lower RPMs (idling usually
produces higher emissions for all pollutants) and both pollutants lower at
higher RPMS.

The last thing...the CO + CO2 must be some sort of local or state standard...I
don't recognize it.

Hope this helps.  If those numbers somehow got truncated then don't sweat the
too lean business cause 2.44% CO at 950 RPM is right on the mark in (runner-up)
Atlanta.

Bud
71TR6 CC57365
71TR6 CC65446