TR3 Pricing (& Oil Pressure Revisited)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Pricing (& Oil Pressure Revisited)
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 13:23:26 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Thanks for everyone's input about the subject of "non-use".  I've now been
waffling about another TR3A, this time in Arizona.  Same basic story.
Fully restored 8 years ago and only "maintanence driven" to keep the
investment alive.  The owner is an F-16 pilot.  He's one of these
tough-as-nails guys who hates to be questioned or doubted.  As a trained
auto mechanic, he restored the car himself from the frame up, with
attention to originality.  He says if I want a buyer's inspection, the
mechanic has to come to him---or he'll deal with it when I'm down there
(for one day).  His attitude has been somewhat indignant and humorless,
though he has been cooperative.

I live in the Seattle area, so my costs are a factor in going to see this
car and having it shipped home.  The car would seem to be almost perfect
(both from photos and the owner's detailed description), except for a
couple of significant blemishes to the (BRG) paint.  He lowered the price
from $16,500 to $14,500 when I called about the car (right after the ad
came out), saying his kids damaged the paint.  I later made a *tentative*
proposal, contingent upon my seeing the car, at $12,500, and he accepted
the idea.  My total cost *with* a repaint ($2,500 I estimate), travel
($450), shipping expenses ($695), comes to over $16,000 again.

The one bit of data I'm unsure of has to do with oil pressure.  He says he
shows "between 45 and 50 lbs" when the car is cruising.  So here we are
again.  My understanding is that when we get down to 45, the engine is
showing signs of wear.  Or does the Arizona climate make a difference in
the pressure reading?

I've also got to admit, for $16,000, I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse
before I've even bought!  I just can't afford *anything* significant to be
wrong with that car, given my budget.  It may be I'm simply priced out of
the "restored TR3" market (I mean the genuinely fine restorations).  My
comfort zone is partly invaded, and I know some of you think this is way
too much to pay for a TR3.  But wouldn't the market seem to say otherwise?
And what about that 45-50 oil pressure?   And does one *always* have a
"buyer's inspection" if the car looks and drives well?  The man is
irritated about not being trusted (as an officer and a gentleman, one
presumes).

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com