Re: TR6 Leaking valve cover gasket

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Leaking valve cover gasket
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 08:31:45 -0400
Kim and Kelly Alford wrote:

> Jack,
>         You may want to consider not using a cork gasket at all.  I have
>found they
> really don't last.  Try purchasing some high temperature silicone "form a
> gasket type" material.  Clean the valve cover and head thoroughly with
> lacquer thinner.  Apply the sealant following the instructions, tighten it
> down, but not too tight as the sealer will squirt out the sides.  Leak gone!
> Good Luck
> Kelly Alford
> 71 TR6
> Shoreline, WA.

Jack,

Also take a good look at the filler cap.  I see a lot of seals under the filler
cap go
bad and the oil leaks out and drips down the sides of the cover to collect on
the rear
lip of the valve cover above the gasket.  Since the cover is usually very hot,
it only
puddles down on the flange.  You don't see much of a trail on the sides of the
valve
cover, just a faint dampness making it difficult to trace the source.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars