Re: speedo bouncing

To: CarlSereda@aol.com
Subject: Re: speedo bouncing
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 23:03:52 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Carl,

Many years ago, in a former lifetime, I raced and rode (and occsionally
fell off of) a lot of motorcycles . One leftover tool from those days,
still in my tool box, is a large hypodermic syringe looking thingy (tech
term) which has an assortment of rubber adapters that clamp around
cables of all types and sizes. We used them weekly on our motocross
bikes. I still use it occasionally on my bicycle and it may be worth
checking motorcycle shops to see if they are still available and could
be used on tach and speedo cables. The tricky part will be finding an
adapter to fit over the large knurled ends on tach/speedo cables. With
that accomplished, it's pretty easy to "inject" your choice of lubricant
until it drips out the other end, then hang the cable up for a few hours
to let the excess drip out. A whole lot less messy than dunking or
dripping or spraying lube into the cable, and a pretty sure bet to get
the cable well lubed throughout its entire length. I always thought it
extended cable life a lot, because the dirt was forced out, too.

As an alternative, I wonder how hard it would be to fit a grease zerk to
a tach or speedo cable, kinda like is on the TR4 parking brake cable
housing... hmmm another experiment/project for a rainy day... as if I
ain't got enuf already!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L