RE: sealant for sump gasket - was Re: [TR6] thrust washers

Subject: RE: sealant for sump gasket - was Re: [TR6] thrust washers
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:18:16 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Permetex (now owned by Loctite) offers a bewildering array of gasket
sealants, gasket makers, RTV, etc. and seems to be constantly changing
names, part numbers, and formulations.
'High Tack' is not the same thing as Hylomar.  In fact, the Hylomar 619
(both gel and aerosol) I bought last year is apparently no longer
available, and has been replaced by Hylomar HPF.  And, Loctite's web page
no longer lists High Tack 98D (several other varieties are still listed).

Personally, I like Hylomar, but High Tack is a more aggressive sealant,
rather reminiscent of the original Permatex.

I'm not sure of the exact story, but other manufacturers also use the name
'Hylomar', and somewhere I've read that it was actually developed for Rolls
Royce.  It is apparently based on polyurethane, and is blue, rather than
purple.  The trademark is registered to Marston Limited (whoever that is).

Randall