Re: Fiberglass repair

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Fiberglass repair
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 15:59:34 -0400
Cc: Michael Graham <mgraham@achilles.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I have used metal screening material like radiator screen/grill
available in most home depot type stores and pop rivetted the screen in
place over the damaged area and coated it with resin and then added the
resin coated fiberglas cloth or mat. The screen gives form (and is
easilycut, shaped and bent) for the cloth to follow as well as having
holes that allow the resin to creep through and cling to the screen.
Additional resin and fiberglas material layers are then added to give
more substance and strength. It works VERY well and is also useful for
floor or trunk floor repairs (as long as the underside is also protected
with undercoating material).

I have also done this on the vertical sides of fenders. I used a flange
crimping vise grip tool to form an edge the is slightly lower than the
surface of the fender. Then I cut a piece of the screening/grill to fit
the flange area and pop rivet it in place to hold it. Then I proceed
with the fiberglas repair as told previously. To fill any small
imperfections in the glass work after sanding I use regular body putty
and complete with normal body work from there. If done correctly the
fiberglass repai bonds well to the patch and surrounding metal,and comes
out faily flush after sanding.

I'm not saying that this is the best way to restore a car but to those
of us on a budget, or with cars that do not warrant a full scale
restoration, or who just want an inexpensive way to fill those non
structural rust holes this is another alternative.

Lenny Seidman

--
Lenny Seidman
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA