Fiberglass repair

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fiberglass repair
From: Michael Graham <mgraham@achilles.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 16:14:03 -0400
I want to repair the rusted metal under the battery in my TR6 with
Fiberglass. Fiberglass instruction say to remove paint before applying
fiberglass. Area was pretty badly rusted and I have wire-brushed and coated
affected area with an rust inhibitor. I would prefer not to remove this
coating before applying fiberglass and do not want to do too much
grinding/sanding 'cause the surrounding area is a little "thin". Will the
fiberglass stick to the painted surface and the rust "inhibited" area, or
do these really need to be ground down to bare metal? I not so much
interested in maximum strength, rather I hope to be able to stop further
rusting and fill the holes that have been eaten through the metal.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions/advice.

Mike Graham
73 TR6
CF727U

Michael Graham: mgraham@achilles.net