[TR6] thrust washers, cam question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR6] thrust washers, cam question
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 21:20:38 -0500
I decided to replace the thrust washers in my TR6 since it was a nice day,
and the crankshaft seemed was a little loose. Also, I didn't know if they'd
ever been replaced, and the car has 83,000 miles on it.  When I pulled the
oil pan off I was greeted by a layer about 1/8" thick of metal powder/oil
sludge at the bottom of the pan. I expected (what I thought was) the worst
- totally shot main bearings.  Surprisingly, the bearings all looked pretty
good. The front thrust washer had some of the bearing surface delaminated,
but otherwise not tremendously bad wear.

I asked my neighbor (a mechanic) to take a look, and he pointed out that
the camshaft had at least 2 lobes worn out. Ouch! I guess I should have
paid attention to the recent threads regarding cam sources.

I have 2 questions:
1) He (my neighbor) said it looked like I ought to be able to replace the
cam with the engine _in_situ_, if I remove the radiator. Anybody done this?

2) What's the consensus on sealant for the sump gasket?  I do have a new
paper gasket, and am leaning toward a silicone sealant, spread thin, and
letting it get tacky before assembly.

Thanks

Ted Stevens
stevens@erols.com