Re: [TR6] thrust washers, cam question

To: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR6] thrust washers, cam question
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 12:43:56 +1000
At 12:20 PM +1000 4/4/99, Theodore R. Stevens wrote:
>I decided to replace the thrust washers in my TR6 since it was a nice day,
>and the crankshaft seemed was a little loose. Also, I didn't know if they'd
>ever been replaced, and the car has 83,000 miles on it.  When I pulled the
>oil pan off I was greeted by a layer about 1/8" thick of metal powder/oil
>sludge at the bottom of the pan. I expected (what I thought was) the worst
>- totally shot main bearings.  Surprisingly, the bearings all looked pretty
>good. The front thrust washer had some of the bearing surface delaminated,
>but otherwise not tremendously bad wear.

I had the smae sludge at 55,000 when I replaced the TWs a few months ago.
The oil pressure was good before and after and the rear main bearing looked
fine.

>I have 2 questions:
>1) He (my neighbor) said it looked like I ought to be able to replace the
>cam with the engine _in_situ_, if I remove the radiator. Anybody done this?

No, but I have seen drawings showing this procedure, so somebody thinks it
is possible.

>2) What's the consensus on sealant for the sump gasket?  I do have a new
>paper gasket, and am leaning toward a silicone sealant, spread thin, and
>letting it get tacky before assembly.

I used Permatex forma a gasket 2.  No leaks so far.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U