Re: [TR6] thrust washers, cam question

To: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Subject: Re: [TR6] thrust washers, cam question
From: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 19:34:38 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
according to my newly purchased haynes manual (bought off ebay auction
for $36), you can replace the camshaft with engine in place. you must:
*remove radiator and fan belt (drain coolant)
*inlet exhaust manifolds, rocker gear, pushrods and tappets must also go
*timing cover, gear, and chain removed
*distributor drive gear is last.
     with that out of the way, measure the camshaft end float with a
feeler gauge placed between the keeper plate and the flange. if end
float exceeds 0.008in, it will be necessary to fit a new plate. then
remove the 2 bolts and spring washers which hold the camshaft locating
plate to the block. the bolts are normally covered by the camshaft
gearwheel.
     remove the plate. the camshaft can now be withdrawn. take care to
remove the camshaft gently, and in particular ensure that the cam peaks
do not damage the camshaft bearing as the shaft is pulled forward.
     email me directly for any questions, it's great to be able to share
some info as i've taken quite a bit from this mailing list!
     the above was taken directly from triumph tr250 & 6 owners workshop
manual.
Tom Di Iulio
76 TR6 (in pieces)
Denver, Co.