Re: TR4 and TR6 Overdrives Whats the diffeance?

To: Jeff Slaton <66austin@mursuky.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 and TR6 Overdrives Whats the diffeance?
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:55:53 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jeff,

Sounds like a pretty good set up for your TR2. With the TR4 gearbox you
have a synchro first gear, unlike the original TR2 box. The later
gearbox normally has a beefed-up/thicker bellhousing mounting flange at
the front. It also would use the later starter, which would be the only
major "non-original" item noticible to a concours judge, if you care
about those things.

FYI: there are (at least) two versions of the A-type O/D, call them
early & late. The most identifiable outward difference is at the
solenoid, where the early model has the bottom of the solenoid
shaft/actuating lever exposed, on the later model this is inside a samll
metal box. There are internal differnces too. And, in operation the
early model recommends lower RPM downshifts than the later model. (I
seem to recall 3500 RPM and 4500 RPM). So this could be an important
consideration if the car will be "put through its paces!" Some of the
internal part for the early type are pretty hard to find.

In answer to your question, the A-type/gearbox should go into your TR6
relatively easily, having the same "footprint" as the non-O/D gearbox.
I've talked with folks who feel the A-type was stronger and more durable
than the J-type. So, if you really wanted to make the swap, you could.

I would check out the rear-end ratios on both cars before doing this,
though. You may find a 4.1:1 in the TR2 that would make it a lot more
pleasant to drive with the O/D than without.

IMHO, keep the O/D in the 2, and look for a 2nd unit for the 6! Then
you'll have O/D in both! Unless, of course the 2 is just a parts car
with no hope for restoration. Both A-types and J-types can be found, J's
are a bit easier.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L