Transmission Repair

To: <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Transmission Repair
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:00:29 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jack,

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.  I copied the
list because this is such good information.

>I finally purchased a special pliers just for that purpose and
it did
>not work, either. I end up taking them off using three or four
very
>small screwdrivers wedged down the slots of the mainshaft behind
the
>square snapring. Then I pry up on one end of the snap ring.

I just bought a snap ring plier set... worked great on the input
shaft ring.  For the mainshaft front end ring I had already
stumbled on the prodedure you describe with the multiple
screwdrivers before I bought the pliers... Took an hour and a
half.

>I've given up on trying to save the square snaprings -- I buy
them from
>Moss in lots of three or four and always replace them. By the
way,
>putting the darned thing back on is not easy, either.
>
>The last trans I did I decided to heck with the ring and used a
cutoff
>wheel on the side opposite the opening -- I ground as much off
the
>snapring as possible to weaken it.

I distorted my third gear circlip beyong reuse as well.  My plan
to get it back on.... is to use the snap ring pliers to spread it
as best as possible and then shimy it down the shaft and then
just get inventive to get it into the tight space on the inside
of the 3rd gear spacer.

Any advice on this.

>By the way, one synchro tooth off the third gear won't hurt it.
>
>Here are a couple more tips:  These transmissions pop out of
third gear
>if the end float of the set of bushings is too great. Be sure to
set the
>end float of washer-tophat bushing-bushing-snapring to factory
spec of
>.003 to .009 and that eliminates that particular problem.

Thanks for the advice here.  I am going to do this test today...
I will be extra careful.

>Watch for galling on the layshaft. If the surface of the shaft
is galled
>where the needle bearings ride, get a new one.

Based on the list and reading... I ordered a new
layshaft(countershaft) as part of my rebuild set....  but the one
in the transmission is in good shape... shows no wear... for that
matter the needle bearings seem fine as well.   Should I replace
the shaft anyway... yes seems like the right answer.. but maybe I
should return it in exchange for a new third gear part.  Or bite
the $34 bullet and replace both.

I HAVE BIG PROBLEM HERE.....  I can't figure out how to get the
old needle bearing assembly out of the layshaft and the input
shaft.  I broke the input shaft one and the needles all fell out
trying to bash on it.    It needs something with a hook to go
behind it and an impact puller type of arrangement.  An impact
puller kit from NAPA is $99.00 and they have to order it... Sears
has nothing.. store or catalog.  I am off to the the hardware
store this AM to see if I can make some sort of homemade thing
from the old rocker shaft or a threaded rod with a grade 8 washer
on the end and a piece galvanized pipe as a slide ram.  It won't
take much force to get them out... it just needs to be applied at
the proper point.

What do you use???

>Finally, make sure that you put the third/fourth shifter collar
back in
>the right direction -- it's different front to back -- the long
center
>snout goes towards the front -- guess how I know....

Thanks I will pay attention here

>Finally, when you go to reassemble the big ball bearing that you
had a
>hard time getting off the mainshaft, it helps to stand the
transmission