Re: Transmission Repair

To: fogbros@nb.net
Subject: Re: Transmission Repair
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:50:19 GMT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ed,

> If you promise to use a new circlip, I'll send you a new (good used) third
> gear for postage.

Thanks... I promise I will use a new clip.. the old one is NG anyway.  I will
gladly take you up on your offer.  If you will tell the postage amount I will
forward a check ASAP.  My address is:

Brian Sanborn
236 Longley Rd
Groton, MA  01450

> The folks who told you to replace the layshaft are probably into those
> sissy all synchro boxes which eat them up. TR3's rarely require them. You
> ought to take a hard look at the teeth of the laygear, though. They tend to
> be a wear item on the TR3.

The only gear that shows any noticeable wear is the reverse gear that slides on
the reverse gear shaft.  The leading edge of the teeth show minor signs of
crunch.  The gearbox showed no bad habits before the rebuild except for noise
with the box in neutral and the clutch not applied.  The same noise could be
heard while driving as well if you listened for it.   The layshaft thrust
washers are worn noticeably where they contact the laygear.  I think that was
the noise.

Any tips on removing the needle bearings from the input shaft and the laygear?

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4 CT16260L - Groton, MA
sanborn@net1plus.com