Re: Some possibly dumb questions!

To: brad.kahler@141.com
Subject: Re: Some possibly dumb questions!
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 07:47:46 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/23/99 9:30:37 PM EST, brad.kahler@141.com writes:

<< 1)   The block has two 3/8" holes for where the starter bolts to it and all
of
 the rest of the holes are 5/16"x24 tapped holes.  It would appear obvious
 that these are the holes that I'm going to have to use for the engine stand.
 So should I use the two 3/8" holes for the starter on the right side and then
 just pick a couple of the 5/16 tapped holes on the left side?

 2)     What grade should the bolts be?  Grade 5 or grade 8?  My particular
 engine stand has clearance holes in the mounts for about 1/2" bolts so I'm
 going to have to use some washers to make up the difference. >>

TR4 motor right?
I have always used one 3/8" starter hole and three 5/16" holes. I used bolts
obtained from the local hardware store, no particular grade. Had the motor on
the stand for over 6 months at a stretch and no worries.
One note - pay attention to access to the rear main seal with the engine stand
in place. Make sure you can get to it OK. Same goes for the rear plug for the
camshaft.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B