Popping Rear Hubs, Part 2

To: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Popping Rear Hubs, Part 2
From: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:01:50 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, I tried out my new hub puller. I get that sucker really torqued on
there tight, but no budging. I was afraid to try to REALLY tighten it w/o
asking the list. Yes, I have loosened the nut on the hub. In fact, I have
the nut upside down on the thread and flush with the top of the threads so
that I don't booger them up.

First off, the 5/8" threaded rod is about 18" long. Is this too long? It is
on a capped wire wheel hub, so I have about 12-14 inches sticking up from
the cap. Should I cut it down to about 9" or so, to change the flex point of
the rod?

Second, should I weld another nut at the end of the threaded rod that is
pushing against the nut/threads, to make a bigger area of force?

Third, just how hard should I torque down? Until I think that there is
absolutely no way it should be on there this tightly, and then some more?
This is my first experience of trying to pop rear hubs, so I'm being
cautious (maybe overly so, but it is easier to wait and ask the Triumph Gods
first, instead of ruining a rear hub and having to buy a new one!).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Bryan Stinocher
bdstinocher@sewsus.com