RE: brake fluid

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, "'fred thomas'" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: RE: brake fluid
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:20:38 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Fred, I agree about not re-using brake fluid.  I buy several 32 ounce cans
when I'm doing hydraulic work.  Its so cheap compared to the consequences.
But, here's another aspect.  Used hydraulic fluid can be contaminated with
small particles of dirt and moisture that are difficult to see but will
shorten the life span of the expensive, new hydraulics you installed.  While
re-doing my clutch master cylinder, I flushed a large amount of new fluid
through the system and I was surprised how much fluid I flushed through
before I stopped seeing very tiny particles of black stuff.  I tossed out
all of the fluid as I flushed it through and poured in new fluid fresh out
of the can.  It may have cost me an extra $5 in fluid, but I'm confident
that I got all of the contaminants out. All those hoses and steel pipes have
crud coating their insides unless they are properly flushed out.  There was
a post not too long ago asking why someone's clutch fluid turned dark within
weeks of installing a new master cylinder.  It was probably a result of not
thoroughly flushing the system. Regards, Greg
76 TR6
68 MGB/GT